ACTION POTENTIAL is a new dance and science collaboration that aims to raise awareness for Motor Neuron Disease (MND)
Performances at 11.45am, 2pm and 3pm at the Manchester Science Festival, John Dalton Building, Manchester Metropolitan University, Chester Street, Manchester, M1 5GD.
Choreographer Anne-Marie Smalldon is creating a new dance work inspired by the work of Neuroscientist Dr Rickie Patani and his team. Combination Dance Company joins forces with Dance Consulting, the MND Association and Manchester Metropolitan University. Dancers and martial arts performers delve inside a motor neurone to explain how scientists think they work. This performance combines interactive dance to join in and enjoy. Established professional artists illustrate the impact of MND on those living with the disease and their families and how MND effects the body.
Dance Consulting were involved in Boxgrove's Sports Week, which involved teaching a cheerleading routine to KS2 children. This formed part of the opening ceremony for the school's sports day, and was very well received by all, resulting in us being invited back for next year's event for another cheerleading performance. We can't wait! :)
The latest schemes of work produced by Dance Consulting, which have included teacher training, are:
• Bollywood - Year 4. This was for an India topic.
• Tudor - Year 5. This was for a Tudor topic, and was delivered with modern twist in the dance.
Funded by the Arts Council, this project has been a collaboration between Dance Consulting and Sarah Cox, Art & Culture Champion for Surrey. The project has encouraged dance in 3 Woking Schools; St. John the Baptise, Bishop David Brown and Winston Churchill. Watch the video here!
• A collaboration with Combination dance to provide opportunities for young people
• Works both independently and in conjunction with the free performances undertaken by Combination Dance Company.
• Combination Dance Company are a registered charity who are funded by their local authority, Sport England and Arts Council England.
• Website: www.combinationdance.co.uk
A refresher on subject knowledge of dance in the PE national curriculum to help provide new dance ideas, lesson plans and ideas for schemes of work.